The Ritalin Diaries

A look inside the mind of an adult with a diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) coupled with Asperger's Syndrome. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll kiss three hours goodbye.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Social interaction

I remember a casual conversation with someone when I was vacationing in Puerto Vallarta with a good friend of mine. After a minor skin accident, I was wearing a bandage on my forearm, one that's designed to minimize scarring. But, it also happens to look like a smoking cessation patch.

When someone pointed this out and asked if I was trying to quit smoking, I matter-of-factly blurted out, "It's actually a wet bandage that's designed to speed up healing and minimize scarring. With typical wounds, the body's reaction is to form a hard and crusty scab, which actually slows down healing because it impedes scar division and ultimately leaves a scar behind. This way, it seals in the body's natural fluids and mimics skin."

Before I can even finish my explanation, she starts laughing as if I told her the funniest joke in the world and she even feels the need to say, "You are the funniest guy." That wasn't my original intention at all. To me, this is normal. To her, it's comedy gold.

It's only half an hour later, when sitting with my friend, that I fully realize what she meant by that. "I just realized something," I confess to my friend. "I'm an absolute fucking dork."

"It took you THAT long to realize that?" my friend responds.

Yes, it did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home