Who's right? Who's wrong? Who's on first?
It never really occurred to me that there would be stigma within my own community.After visiting wrongplanet.net, I came across a weblog (to which I'll decline to link) with a civil rights angle to it. I'm thinking, cool. Another person with an interest in Asperger's Syndrome. So, I fire off a quick e-mail, to which the blogger responds,
"My blog is a civil rights blog. I see myself as a member of a social minority group with a natural genetic variation, and I never link to sites that characterize autism/Asperger's as a mental disease in need of treatment."
Ouch.
The writer does qualify his/her statement with, "If Ritalin helps you to be more focused, that's fine, and I'm not going to argue that no one should use it... but it doesn't mean that you're genetically defective or that you're making progress in overcoming a disease." But, that leaves a significant debate, to which probably won't be resolved any time soon.
I appreciate the values of diversity and staying true to oneself, but my experience is that it really only looks good on paper, and the whole "dare to be different" thing can only get you so far.
For people who "get it" (i.e.: enlightened, open-minded individuals), that's fine. But don't expect to garner a lot of sympathy if you say something inappropriate, blow deadlines, or nod off during an important meeting during the afternoon. I don't ever expect to be "cured," but at the same time, I have no intention of dying alone or finding gainful employment as a lighthouse keeper.
There is one belief that conditions such as ADHD and Asperger's are mere social constructs and are actually part of the evolutionary chain. Hence, while all the other neanderthals and cro-magnon were off hunting mammoths, the ADHD and Asperger's neanderthals and cro-magnon were hanging out it the cave, discovering fire, inventing the wheel, and making cave paintings commemorating the event.
But as it is, nobody can expect to put on the same face for everybody, which is why I don't always agree with the mandate of "Aspies for Freedom" and other such organizations. For all intents and purposes, there is nothing "wrong" with me. But, try telling that to other people around me. I told one of my co-workers that I take Ritalin for ADHD, to which he flippantly quips, "Oh, you mean attention seeking disorder?" Of course, he wasn't the type of person I typically wish to associate with anyway and I'm sure he feels the same, but it underscores the current reality - people just don't get it, and typically, I just don't have the energy to pry people's minds open on the matter, especially when I appear to be normal in every other respect.
Given that these people are the ones with the keys - the ones who hold jobs, money, sex, power, etc. - it sorta makes sense that we have to adapt. Does this mean paying lip-service and faking for along as possible? In some respect, yes. But, as long as I can distance myself, then I can do this without feeling "dirty" per se.
And until Aspies for Freedom achieve their goal, I'll have to keep doing this.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home