The Ritalin Diaries

A look inside the mind of an adult with a diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) coupled with Asperger's Syndrome. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll kiss three hours goodbye.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

(mis)diagnosis?


Hello, everybody!

Upon urging of my significant other, I've decided to update this blog after months of neglect. Given the lack of writing I'm actually doing in my actual dayjob (while I work for a magazine, I'm mostly doing formatting and editing...not extremely creative), I should probably get a little more diligent when it comes to writing. After all, it's not like there hasn't been anything interesting happening in my life.

So, 2 months, 2 weeks in, I'm still officially in a serious relationship with someone who is incredibly supportive and understanding, regardless of any bizarre quirks that may or may not be due to any diagnosable conditions.

In an attempt to understand more, my s.o. read Loving Mr. Spock from cover to cover, while joining the Delphi forums to gain more insight from people who regularly interacted with AS patients.

This had...somewhat mixed results, as one forum, "AS Partners," was filled with people whose patience was completely worn thin from years of emotional abuse, most of whom were quickly advising her to LEAVE the relationship, telling her that we're essentially in the "honeymoon" stage now, and within a matter of months or even years, I'm fated to turn into a complete asshole.

Some of the experiences of women with AS-diagnosed partners read like spousal abuse reports. One woman reports her husband going back to sleep after taking her sarcasm literally, when swift action could have prevented a miscarriage. Others report just general lack of caring and sympathy.

I didn't really think about the diagnosis too much until I actually sat down and re-read the letter that was provided by the doctor that detailed the diagnosis. During the interview, I was asked about attention to cleanliness, which I was thinking was something to do with germ phobia. I jokingly commented that "I live and die by the 5-second rule", which we all know has been debunked by the likes of Mythbusters and led a high-school student to be awarded an IgNobel prize for her research on the subject. But, this was interpreted as, "rigidly following rules and conventions." I mentioned that I like reading comic books, although they took this as meaning an obsessive interest. Oh-kay.

I shared this letter with my s.o., which got her fairly amused, although even more questioning the diagnosis, considering that, while I may do stupid things on many occasion, and I may say things that might piss her off, I'm not some cold, callous monster that would just neglect her (at least I'd hope).

Now, I'm just waiting to get a second opinion.

Goodbye, everybody!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes honey... and sometimes I *do* wonder if it *was* Dr. Nick giving you your diagnosis... :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home